DESIGN FIRM BUSINESS MANAGER AND ADMINISTRATOR
Winstanley Architects and Planners
Winstanley Architects and Planners is an award-winning design firm with a distinctive multidisciplinary practice which we run and are growing out of studios in DC and Miami. Our 20- person firm has engagements from New England to the Caribbean, including master planning, architecture and interior design projects for a broad array of client profiles.
We have an important opening for a visible position requiring financial, office management, and administrative skills in the DC (Alexandria) studio. This position reports to the Managing Director, with extensive collaboration with the founding Design Principal.
Priority Responsibilities Include:
- Day to day management of bookkeeping and financial administration of the firm and its projects. Personal responsibility for producing and tracking: P & L, balance sheet, client invoices, and logs of vendor bills, AR and AP.
- Day to day and ongoing coordination with banks, vendors, clients, government agencies, etc.
- Non-financial administrative tasks and roles including HR, occasional executive travel, proposal production, and serving as the day-to-day face of the firm to clients, sub-consultants, and community stakeholders.
- Office management of the DC (VA) studio; contracts, vendors, leases, supplies, maintenance, etc. Receptionist presence as required, including arrangements for meetings and receptions.
Key Qualifications and Credentials:
- Working familiarity with financial administration of a professional services (preferably design) firm, including GL, P&L, invoicing, and AR, AP. Academic or professional training in bookkeeping a distinct plus.
- Strong communication skills: interpersonal, oral, and written.
- Familiarity with standard office software; proprietary design firm accounting and project software (e.g., Deltek) a plus.
- Personal interest in and familiarity with the design and construction industry and marketplace a plus.
- Flexible, collaborative, and self-starting attitude and work habits, with personal and business ethics in keeping with a professional-practice setting.
- Experience in administrative and accounting roles in established business setting.
- Design-firm experience a strong priority, but not essential for the right candidate.
- Experience working with owners of a privately owned business.
- Experience demonstrating ability to project mature persona for a professional services firm which has: a commitment to superior performance for its clients; market standing and brand; and critical relationships with community stakeholders who value the mission-based character of the firm’s work.